Tuesday, September 21, 2021

"We esteemed Him stricken..."

"He was despised and forsaken of men, A man of sorrows and acquainted with grief; And like one from whom men hide their face He was despised, and we did not esteem Him. Surely our griefs He Himself bore, And our sorrows He carried; Yet we ourselves esteemed Him stricken, Smitten of God, and afflicted.   (Isaiah 53:3-5)

This is one of my earliest memory verses dating back to the mid 70's. It is a well known passage to most Christians and one of the more pointed prophecies of the coming One who is the One and Only. But in this morning's annual trek through the Word, I caught a different glimpse of this wonderful assurance of our salvation.

When Jesus was walking the Earth there were those who were enamored by His various uniquenesses, he was tolerated by the curious, worshipped by a few, but overall he was despised by the majority. Hence, when given the offer to release him, the multitudes chose a known murderer. 

Our view from after-the-fact is easy; He was our substitute, He was the Righteous One taking the place of we the GUILTY. But in real time, that was not what played out. The most plausible, explanation for the brutality he suffered was that he had it coming to him. He deserved what he was receiving. I mean after all "we" (Rome) are a civil society with laws, and protections and rights for the innocent. If he were not guilty as charged he certainly would not have suffered the string of injustices and brutal tortures he did. 

There is only one obvious explanation; he had it coming. "Shall not the Judge of the whole earth do right?" Of course. Bottom line, he is under the judgement of God who knows all things, therefore, "...we ourselves esteemed Him stricken, Smitten of God, and afflicted." He had it coming.

This sticks in my craw and I'm not even sure where that is but it is uncomfortable... How many times have I judged people I know, people I have heard of or read of in the news? "C'mon, this wouldn't have gone this far if he wasn't guilty as sin..." But it's worse than that. I see someone walking the street, I size them up based on next to nothing other than my first impressions by their appearance. I have a check in my spirit tempering my wretched judgementalism. I wonder, "What tragedies, what horrors have they lived through that has so obliterated their sense of worth and meaning?" I pray.  

      OK, I strike up a minor victory.................. only to "return to the vomit." (Prov 26:11)  

Isaiah continues:  "BUT!  He was pierced through for our transgressions, He was crushed for our iniquities; The chastening for our well-being fell upon Him, And by His scourging we are healed."

He didn't have "it" coming. Far from it. He is the only one born of woman NOT to have it coming and I, who have it coming, am absolved only because "[GOD] made Him who knew no sin to be sin on our behalf, so that we might become the righteousness of God in Him."  (2 Corinthians 5:21)   And I cry out,       "Oh wretched man that I am. who shall deliver me from this body of death?"

                             "Thanks be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord!  (Romans 7:25)

No comments:

Post a Comment