Sunday, April 5, 2020

2 Local Churches, 2 Different Outcomes

I just finished watching a live “worship” service of a local Waterville Church that I knew was, how shall I say, blasphemous?  Then it was time to be with the Waterville Faith family… From the music, to the prayers, to the professional production itself, it testified to the Glory of God. Then the proclamation of the Inspired, Infallible, Inerrant, Authoritative, Word of God was wonderfully presented as a fully integrated aspect of the whole “worship” experience not just an add-on.. I was challenged, I was blessed, I was lifted up above the present confusing times and for a few minutes was in the presence of the joy of the Risen Savior who is also Lord.

Then there was the “other” church. In full disclosure, I was a little late getting on to the site but I had seen their whole “worship” service last week complete with an inane poem with pauses for cleansing breaths instructing the viewers to do the same. This morning I was just in time to see the pastor reading a children’s story about a bear, a mouse and several other woodland creatures. Somehow they each had crowns they were all quite proud of declaring themselves to be kings, queens, etc. but the big bear was left out. Since I missed the beginning, I didn’t have the context but figured it would be revealed as the “Pastor” pulled it together with a pithy point as he did with last week’s cutesy poem… I could not tell you what the point was. One comment that popped up live on the side bar as he was talking though said, “Mark sure knows his children’s books.” My immediate thought was, “If he only knew the Bible’s books...”

Then the “sermon." His text was Mark 1:1-11, The Triumphal entry… He made some marginally coherent statements about the entrance noting that  “…it was anything but triumphal.” At least he got that right adding, “The people didn’t know then how the story turns out and we don’t know now.” Wait what? I am trusting (without reason) that he was referring to the turmoil currently around us all but that wasn’t clear. I’ll give him benefit of doubt even if unmerited.  He then talked about the Jews being oppressed by Pharaoh and how we are now under the “…economic exploitation of our own Pharaoh…Hosanna! Save us now.”  (Last week his “sermon” was insipid with implied failings of our health care system and why we needed single payer health care.) It was brief but definite. The pastor’s message on this Palm Sunday morning was a total of 4-5 minutes!

Was it coincidence that only 15 minutes earlier in my quiet time—my time reading through the books of the Bible—was in James?  I read—""Let not many of you become teachers, my brethren, knowing that as such we will incur a stricter judgment."  (James 3:1)

So to go from a cesspool of “spirituality”  to spend time with Faith this morning was like showering away the filth of sentimentality which makes people feel better about themselves as they head for a Christless eternity.  To God be the glory for your churches worldwide who declare YOU!

No comments:

Post a Comment